In addition to the information provided by the FDFA, please consult the Mexican authorities' regulations. This guidance is provided on a selective basis only and the FDFA makes no warranty that the information is accurate or complete. Article 5 of the Swiss Abroad Act provides that every individual shall exercise personal responsibility when planning or undertaking a stay abroad or when working abroad.

The picture shows the pyramids of Chichen Itza in Mexico.
The pyramid of Chichen Itza, Mexico. © Unsplash

The Mexican Ley de Migración (Migration Act) of 2016 provides for the following visa categories (Arts. 52 to 65): tourists (visitantes), temporary residents (residentes temporales) and permanent residents (residentes permanentes). 

Visa for Mexico


Registration with the Swiss representation abroad 


Swiss nationals who are relocating abroad must register with the competent Swiss representation (embassy or consulate) abroad. They must do so within 90 days of the date on which they deregistered from their last commune of residence in Switzerland. You can register directly at the representation or via the online desk. To register as a Swiss citizen abroad, you need a valid passport (or a valid ID), a deregistration certificate and, if you have one, a certificate of origin.


Registration is free of charge. Registering will enable the Swiss authorities to contact you in an emergency and facilitate speedier processing of administrative matters such as issuing an identity or civil status document. Registering is also a good way to stay in touch with Switzerland. Swiss citizens who are registered with a Swiss representation abroad receive the Swiss Review – the magazine for the Swiss community abroad – free of charge. If you are over 18, you can also register to vote on initiatives and in referendums and elections in Switzerland.

Entry on electoral roll

All Mexican citizens, whether obtained by birth or naturalisation, who are at least 18 years old and have not committed a serious criminal offence, are eligible to vote. To exercise this right, Mexican citizens must meet certain legal requirements, including registering in the federal electoral roll and obtaining a voting card with a photo. The voting card can be acquired free of charge from the National Electoral Institute (Instituto Nacional Electoral).  

Vaccination and health

The Healthy Travel website provides vaccination recommendations and up-to-date information on infectious diseases. Please check vaccination recommendations before you travel.


Innovation and Partnerships

Consular Directorate CD
Effingerstrasse 27
3003 Bern


Helpline +41 800 24-7-365 / +41 58 465 33 33

Start of page