In addition to the information provided by the FDFA, please consult the Canadian authorities' regulations. This guidance is provided on a selective basis only and the FDFA makes no warranty that the information is accurate or complete. Article 5 of the Swiss Abroad Act provides that every individual shall exercise personal responsibility when planning or undertaking a stay abroad or when working abroad.

The picture shows the town of Banff in Canada with the mountains and the national park.
View of Banff National Park in Canada. © Unsplash

Anyone entering Canada must obtain an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA). Citizens of visa-exempt countries, including Switzerland, travelling to Canada by air must apply for an eTA prior to departure for stays of up to 6 months. A fee is charged for the eTA.

Since 31 July 2018, Swiss nationals aged between 14 and 79 wishing to work, live or study in Canada have been required to provide biometric data when applying for a permanent resident application, study permit, temporary resident permit or work permit. They must do this in person at a Visa Application Centre (VAC). People with a valid eTA staying in Canada for 6 months or less are not required to provide biometric data. 

Visa for Canada


Registration with the Swiss representation abroad 


Swiss nationals who are relocating abroad must register with the competent Swiss representation (embassy or consulate) abroad. They must do so within 90 days of the date on which they deregistered from their last commune of residence in Switzerland. You can register directly at the representation or via the online desk. To register as a Swiss citizen abroad, you need a valid passport (or a valid ID), a deregistration certificate and, if you have one, a certificate of origin.


Registration is free of charge. Registering will enable the Swiss authorities to contact you in an emergency and facilitate speedier processing of administrative matters such as issuing an identity or civil status document. Registering is also a good way to stay in touch with Switzerland. Swiss citizens who are registered with a Swiss representation abroad receive the Swiss Review – the magazine for the Swiss community abroad – free of charge. If you are over 18, you can also register to vote on initiatives and in referendums and elections in Switzerland.

Vaccination and health

The Healthy Travel website provides vaccination recommendations and up-to-date information on infectious diseases. Please check vaccination recommendations before you travel.


Innovation and Partnerships

Consular Directorate CD
Effingerstrasse 27
3003 Bern


Helpline +41 800 24-7-365 / +41 58 465 33 33

Start of page