The FDFA provides information only on a periodic basis and does not guarantee the accuracy or comprehensiveness of the information provided. Article 5 of the Swiss Abroad Act stipulates that every individual shall exercise personal responsibility when planning or undertaking a stay abroad or when working abroad.

View of White's Beach and the sea.
White's Beach near Auckland. © Unsplash

Swiss nationals do not require a tourist or business visa for New Zealand for a stay of up to three months, but do require an electronic entry permit from the New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeta). You can find the relevant information on the NZ Immigration website. A valid passport, a return or onward travel ticket and proof of sufficient funds for the stay are required for entry.

Persons wishing to stay in New Zealand for longer than three months (up to a maximum of 9 months) must have a visitor's visa. As long as their visa is still valid, visitors can also apply for a change of visa status. Visitors who have a job offer or an offer to study at an educational institution approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority can apply for a work or student visa at the nearest branch of Immigration New Zealand.

Individuals wishing to immigrate to New Zealand who do not qualify for an investor or family stream visa need to apply for a skilled migrant visa to obtain a residence and work permit.

Visa for New Zealand 

Registration with the Swiss representation abroad


Swiss nationals who are relocating abroad must register with the competent Swiss representation (embassy or consulate) abroad. They must do so within 90 days of the date on which they deregistered from their last commune of residence in Switzerland. You can register directly at the representation or via the online desk. To register as a Swiss citizen abroad, you need a valid passport (or a valid ID), a deregistration certificate and, if you have one, a certificate of origin.


Registration is free of charge. Registering will enable the Swiss authorities to contact you in an emergency and facilitate speedier processing of administrative matters such as issuing an identity or civil status document. Registering is also a good way to stay in touch with Switzerland. Swiss citizens who are registered with a Swiss representation abroad receive the Swiss Review – the magazine for the Swiss community abroad – free of charge. If you are over 18, you can also register to vote on initiatives and in referendums and elections in Switzerland.

Enrolling in the electoral roll

New Zealand does not have residents' register offices. However, foreign nationals who have permanent resident status and have been living in the country for more than one year are required to register in the electoral roll of their place of residence. Enrolment forms are available at any post office in New Zealand.

Vaccination and health

The Healthy Travel website provides vaccination recommendations and up-to-date information on infectious diseases. Please check vaccination recommendations before you travel.


Innovation and Partnerships

Consular Directorate CD
Effingerstrasse 27
3003 Bern


Helpline +41 800 24-7-365 / +41 58 465 33 33

Start of page