Old age and invalidity insurance

Voluntary Swiss OASI/IV scheme

If you no longer live in Switzerland, are no longer subject to the compulsory Swiss Old-Age and Survivors Insurance scheme (OASI) and the Swiss Invalidity Insurance scheme (IV), and you live in a country that is not a member of the European Union (EU) or the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), you can maintain your insurance cover in Switzerland by paying into the voluntary OASI/IV scheme, provided that you meet the membership requirements (OASIA, SR 831.10/InvIA, SR831.20/VOASIO, SR 831.111).

Federal Act on Old-Age and Survivors Insurance (OASIA, SR 831.10) (de, fr, it)

Federal Act on Invalidity Insurance (InvIA, SR 831.20) (de, fr, it)

Federal Ordinance on Voluntary Old-Age, Survivors and Invalidity Insurance (VOASIO, SR. 831.11) (de, fr, it)

The Swiss representation that covers the country where you live will be pleased to provide you with more information on the voluntary OASI/IV scheme.

Generally speaking, joining the voluntary Swiss insurance scheme does not release you from any compulsory social security obligations you have in another country. The competent social security office in your country of residence can provide you with more information on your rights and obligations.

Swiss Old Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI/DI - AHV/IV - AVS/AI)

Life, Marital Status and Residence Certificate for Swiss Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Pension Recipients residing in the continental USA, Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands:

Each year, in the month of the first payment of the rent, the Swiss Compensation Office SCO has to obtain a Life, Marital Status and Residence Certificate for its pensioners. The certificate should be returned within 90 days, duly authenticated.

For pension recipients who reside in the corresponding representation‘s consular district or also called consular jurisdiction, the following Swiss representations can authenticate a Life Certificate by means of a stamp and signature:

  • Embassy of Switzerland in the United States of America in Washington, D.C.
  • Swiss Consulate General in Atlanta
  • Swiss Consulate General in New York
  • Swiss Consulate General in San Francisco

Although the authorities listed below can authenticate that an individual is alive, they cannot authenticate the residence or marital status of that individual.  However, the Swiss Compensation Office also accepts Life Certificates from those authorities, but, according to the status of the documents in the file of the person concerned, expressly reserves the right to obtain an additional written statement on the individual’s residence and/or marital status or to request that an official certification of the individual’s residence and/or marital status be submitted:

  • Notary Public
  • Local or state police, Sheriff’s or Marshall’s offices

Since the requirements can vary from authority to authority, before an appointment it is worthwhile to clarify the circumstances under which the Life Certificate will be stamped and signed.

Further information about the Swiss Old-Age and Survivors Insurance/Disability Insurance system can be found on the Internet at:

Any questions you might have should be addressed directly to the Swiss Compensation Office SCO.  You can find the address, telephone number and fax number on the “Life, Marital Status and Residence Certificate” letter sent to you or on the Internet at:

Pensioners having lost their certificate can download a virgin form of the name “Life Certificate” which serves the purpose of the “Life, Marital Status and Residence Certificate” under the following Internet link: