New Requirements for Swiss Citizens Living in the U.S. Entering Canada by Air

Local news, 15.03.2016

As of March 15, 2016, citizens of Switzerland and other visa-exempt foreign nationals who wish to fly to Canada or transit through a Canadian airport will need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to traveling. This change does not affect individuals entering Canada at a land-border crossing or at a marine port-of-entry. Please note that lawful permanent residents of the United States will need an eTA if they fly or transit through Canada. Information on this new requirement, as well as instructions on how to apply for an eTA, may be found at:


Please be aware that Swiss representations cannot be held responsible for information on entry to third countries. Therefore always be sure to contact the respective authorities of your country of destination.