Driving licence and number plates

If you are leaving Switzerland to take your residence abroad with your car, you have to return your Swiss number plates (licence plates) as well as your Swiss vehicle registration document to the road traffic office of your previous Swiss place of residence immediately after your arrival abroad. You can also hand them over to the Swiss representation that covers your new place of residence abroad.

You must send your application for a local vehicle registration document and number plates directly to the competent authority in your new country of residence.

Procedure in Italy

Please note that this Representation does not provide legalisation services for Swiss vehicle registration certificates.

These must be requested directly from the State Chancellery of the canton that issued the vehicle registration document (the list of cantonal authorities and their contact details can be found on the Federal Chancellery website).

It is possible to apply for legalisations by correspondence.