Life and civil status certificate

To avoid paying benefits that are not due, the Swiss Compensation Office (SCO) needs to verify that claimants are genuine and actually alive. A certificate of life and marital status is therefore issued to affected claimants on an annual basis. The relevant form is sent to claimants one year after benefits are first paid out. To ensure that pensions continue to be paid without interruption, the form must be completed, certified by the appropriate authority and returned to the SCO in Geneva within 90 days.

Life certificates In Zambia may be certified by the following authorities: 

  • Honorary Consulate in Lusaka - The life certificate can then be sent directly back to the Swiss compensation Office in Geneva.
  • Ministry of Home Affairs - The life certificate can then be sent directly back to the Swiss compensation Office in Geneva.
  • Doctors, old-age homes and hospitals only with mandatory medical
Please Note: Old-age homes, hospitals and doctors may not under any circumstances confirm the civil status. Therefore, the life certificate has to be couriered to the Regional Consular Centre in Pretoria (RCC). Only the RCC can confirm the civil status of Swiss citizens, if you are duly registered and kept your data up to date. The RCC will then send the certificate to the Swiss Compensation Office in Geneva.

If you have any questions, please contact the Swiss Central Compensation Office:

Central compensation Office
Voluntary scheme - benefits

Avenue Edmond-Vaucher 18
Case Postale 3100
CH 1211 Genève 2

Tel  : +41 (0)22 795 91 11
Fax : +41 (0)22 795 97 03

E-mail :
Homepage :


Disclosure requirement

In addition to submitting a certificate of life and marital status, claimants must disclose to the office responsible for paying out benefits any change in their personal circumstances which could cause benefits to be discontinued, increased or reduced and any change of address or bank account details.

If you are registered with a Swiss representation, please also inform the representation of any change of address or civil status.