Support to the UNDP National Commodities Platforms
SECO supports the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in establishing and developing National commodity platforms in Indonesia for the palm oil sector and in Peru for the coffee sector. These platforms are forums where all stakeholder groups in a commodity sector meet, dialogue and establish a consensus on issues that must be solved.
A nivel mundial
- Programa de las Naciones Unidas para el Desarrollo
Agro-commodity sectors such as oil palm in Indonesia and coffee in Peru are affected by poor production practices that lead to increasing pressure on ecosystems and fail to improve the livelihoods of rural communities. This leads to negative environmental impacts such as biodiversity loss, increased carbon emissions and soil erosion. By applying better agricultural practices and diversifying production systems, most producers can increase yields and product quality considerably, improve social conditions and income for themselves and their workers as well as reduce their detrimental impact on the environment.
The project?s goal is to mainstream sustainable production practices in Indonesia?s oil palm sector and Peru?s coffee sector, to reduce their environmental and social impact and improve livelihoods of producers, workers and their families. In both countries it will have specific impact in reducing deforestation.
To help achieve this goal, the project?s objective is to strengthen the enabling environment for sustainable production in Indonesia?s palm oil sector and in Peru?s coffee sector, and organize collective action through multi-stakeholder partnerships. It will achieve this by strengthening Indonesia?s newly established Palm Oil Platform (INPOP) and establish a National Coffee Platform in Peru. It will also develop the Green Commodity Programme?s platform tools and methodologies and thereby contribute to strengthen other commodity platforms worldwide.
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Outcome 1 - Indonesia: A strengthened Indonesia Palm Oil Platform allows a constructive and efficient multi-stakeholder dialogue leading to collective actions favoring palm oil sustainability.
Outcome 2 - Peru: The creation of a National Coffee Platform in Peru allows a constructive and efficient multi-stakeholder dialogue leading to collective action favoring coffee sustainability.
Outcome 3 - Global : The system of green National Commodity Platforms is strengthened.
1. Institutional support structure defined for smallholders.
2. Enabling policies for environmentally sustainable palm oil production practices implemented.
3. Palm oil sector governance strengthened with new tools.
4. ISPO is promoted to become a strong driving force for palm oil legality and sustainability.
1. Peru National Coffee Platform is developed.
2. Specific measures identified and proposed to strengthen enabling environments.
3. Program defined to strengthen key government ministries and agencies.
4. National farmer support system established.
5. Farmer credit systems are established/refurbished.
6. Supply chain actors engaged in promoting sustainable production practices.
1. General methodologies and tools developed for country project teams and National Commodity Platforms.
2. Technical support and supervision provided to national project teams.
3. Partnerships facilitated with and between stakeholders.
4. Lessons learnt disseminated.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación al desarrollo
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 2’000’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 0 Presupuesto inclusive contrapartes del proyecto CHF 2’000’000|
|Fases del proyecto||
Fase 1 01.09.2015 - 31.08.2018 (Completed)