Jordan is a constitutional monarchy with a population of more than 9.5 million people. The UNDP Human Development Report has classified it as a country of “medium human development” and an emerging market.
Jordan hosts more than two million Palestine refugees, registered with the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA). 18% of Palestine refugees live in 13 camps across Jordan, while the remaining 82% are integrated in Jordanian cities. In addition, approximately 16,000 Palestine refugees from Syria have sought refuge in Jordan. The situation of these refugees is particularly precarious.
Jordan is hosting currently more than 655,000 Syrian refugees, Syria crisis equalling almost 10% of the local Jordan population. While 18% live in camps, the vast majority are so-called “urban refugees”, scattered across villages and towns, seeking shelter wherever available. Scarce resources and pressure on public services are fuelling tensions between the refugees and host communities. An estimated 80,000 asylum seekers are currently stranded at the informal north-eastern border between Jordan and Syria with extremely limited access to humanitarian aid.
Swiss Cooperation Strategy Middle East 2015 – 2018
The overall goal of the Swiss Cooperation Programme in the Middle East 2015 - 2018 is to contribute to safe, viable and peaceful living conditions for conflict-affected and vulnerable people, reducing fragility, preventing and transforming conflicts. The Cooperation Programme is implemented by different Swiss federal units, namely the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, the Directorate for Political Affairs and the State Secretariat for Migration. The Swiss Cooperation Programme is aligned with multilateral and national response plans and entails different cooperation instruments, combining humanitarian as well as resilience and conflict transformation-oriented interventions.