Information about travel to Switzerland related to COVID-19
Information about travel to Switzerland, quarantine, entry form, vaccination certificate and negative COVID-19 TEST
To see what rules apply to your own particular situation when entering Switzerland please consult the online FOPH - Travel Check.
The State Secretariat of Migration (SEM) considers effective 27 September, Japan again as a high-risk country.
Any person over 16 years of age entering Switzerland must present a negative test result. This rule also applies for vaccinated and recovered persons.
Health/COVID-19 requirements are the responsibility of the Federal Office of Public Health: All the necessary information.
For fully vaccinated foreign nationals travelling from Japan to Switzerland, the regular entry requirements continue to apply. For information regarding the COVID-19 vaccination requirements, please consult the following website of the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH).
However, entry restrictions apply for foreign nationals travelling from Japan who are not fully vaccinated, who are without rights of free movement, or who do not belong to any of the exceptional categories of the Covid 19 Regulation 3. For additional information, please consult the webpage of the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM).
Children, who cannot be vaccinated due to their age, are allowed to enter Switzerland with their vaccinated accompanying persons (parents, siblings, grandparents or other caregivers).
Mandatory for all airline passengers travelling from Japan to Switzerland:
- For further information on quarantine and COVID Test requirements, please see the website of the Federal Office of Public Health FOPH.
- Everyone entering Switzerland must present a completed electronic entry form (rare exceptions may apply, please refer to art. 3 of the COVID-19 Ordinance on International Passenger Transport). It is important to fill out the electronic entry form on a computer or smartphone at the earliest 48 hours before the entry to Switzerland in order to receive a QR code by email. This code needs to be kept at hand for inspection upon arrival in Switzerland. The controlling authority can impose a fine if the entry form is not completed or if the information provided is false. You can find here a graphic explaining the process.
New rules on entering Switzerland
- On entering Switzerland, everyone aged 16 and over must be able to show the negative result of a PCR test (performed no more than 72 hours prior to entry) or a rapid antigen test (performed no more than 24 hours previously) in English.
- Present one of the following medical documents (if older than 16 years):
- a COVID-19 vaccination certificate stating that you were fully vaccinated within the last 12 months with an approved vaccine.
- a positive COVID-19 test result of a test taken within the last 6 months and a COVID-19 recovery medical certificate
If your trip to Switzerland includes transit through another foreign country, you must also check the entry restrictions of that country. Each airline has its own rules for combatting the pandemic. It is therefore strongly recommended to contact your airline in time, in order to confirm the boarding requirements.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, specific rules apply for people entering Switzerland. For further information on quarantine and COVID Test requirements, please see the website of the Federal Office of Public Health FOPH.
For further information, please consult the COVID-19-Ordinance or the website of the State Secretariat of Migration. Other countries might be on the list of risk countries of the SEM. Entry restrictions continue to apply for entry from these states. The list will be adjusted as necessary. We therefore recommend that you consult the website of the SEM regularly for more information.
Information on converting a foreign COVID certificate to a Swiss Covid certificate
It is possible for travelers to Switzerland to convert a foreign COVID certificate to a Swiss COVID certificate (if vaccinated with an EU recognized vaccine). The conversion costs CHF 30 and takes up to 5 days to be processed.
Please visit FOPH - I was vaccinated abroad. How can I get a COVID certificate? for further details or apply directly online here: National COVID certificate application platform.
Re-entry into Japan for foreign nationals with status of residence who are returning from specific countries can still be denied. Please consult the following webpage for details: MOFA - Border enforcement measures to prevent the spread of COVID19
For more information regarding visa applications please visit the following website Visa entry to Switzerland.
Following further links might be useful:
- Travel Report of the FDFA, Focus Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), in French, German and Italian
- FOPH Infoline Corona Virus: +41 58 463 00 00