Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
ROAD for disabled children and youth
Slovakia lacks complex care centres for handicapped children and their families. The project shall introduce and test a pilot system of complex care services for children and youth with the most severe level of disability, linking the three main aspects influencing their quality of life: quality of provided institutional services, quality of domestic care and scope of the clients’ socialising abilities.
Improving social security
Social services for specific target groups
- 18 Children and youth with severe disability and 54 family members
- 650 patients
- 1300 family members of patients
- The reconstruction of the social care facility of 1067 m2 was completed
- The capacity for clients of the facility was increased by 30% compared to 2011
- 8 services were newly established and 9 services were improved.
- 38 realized activities focusing on socialization of clients were realized
- A contact and guidance point providing mentoring and education for 20 families per year was established.
- Advisory services established for 54 family members
- 3 new social services introduced
- Knowledge exchange platform and expert group established
- Education programme and advisory services for other social facilities and social works elaborated
- 140 students and volunteers have been educated within the project.
- National State Institute North
The quality of life of severely physically and mentally handicapped children and youth is influenced by three different aspects: the quality of provided social services, the quality of domestic care (provided by family members) and the extent of the children’s socialising abilities. When one of these three elements is insufficient, the children lose their chance to fully mobilise and use their abilities for the improvement of their physical and mental state, resulting in a lowered quality of life. Currently, there is no social care service in the focus region which takes into account all three elements. Moreover, the existing social service facilities do not have sufficient capacity.
The overall goal of the project is to increase the quality of life of children and youth with severe disabilities. This shall be achieved by the following specific objectives: (i): Increased quality and scope of social services provided; (ii): Increased quality of care in domestic environment; (iii): Increased level of socialisation of children and youth as their preparation for interacting in unknown situations and in contact with unknown people.
Three activities shall lead to the fulfilment of the project objectives. Firstly, capacity building measures will be realised for social workers, students and volunteers (19 events with 300 participants, 6 internships for students). Secondly, constructional adjustments shall be implemented to allow the provision of more complex services for more clients. Lastly, the reconstructed centre shall be equipped and the functioning of the Contact Advisory Point for family members shall be tested. In addition, measures for assuring the multiplication of project results will be taken.
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Swiss Contribution to the enlarged EU
Foreign state institution
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 949’000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 868’567|
Phase 1 27.01.2012 - 31.12.2015 (Completed)