Visa – Entry to and residence in Switzerland


The Embassy does not accept any walk-ins. An appointment has to be booked prior to your visit at the Embassy.

For Schengen visa check on our webpage if you are eligible to apply for a Schengen visa and on how to book an appointment:

For an appointment for family reunification visa send copies in one email of the following documents to

From the person living in Switzerland

  • Resident permit from Switzerland and/or Swiss passport

From the persons living in Ethiopia:

  • phone number and email address
  • copy of valid passport and/or emergency travel document issued by the Ethiopian Authorities
  • marriage certificate*
  • Birth certificate*
  • Certificate of residence (valid ID-card)

* The original Ethiopian civil status and court documents have to be issued by the Vital Events Registrations Agency VERA and need to be legalized by the Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

All documents only written in Amharic, Oromia or Tigrinya need to be translated into German, French, Italian or English by one of the Embassy’s officially recognized translation offices.

Further information can be found here:

If you received an authorization for the issuance of an entry visa to Switzerland and want to collect the visa, please send an email to

  • Copy of your valid passport or Emergency Travel Document
  • Copy of authorization

For appointments for DNA Tests, please send an email to indicating the complete name and birth date of the person concerned indicating that it is for DNA Tests.

Schengen visa for a stay of up to 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a short stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period: for example, in a context of tourism, a visit to relatives or friends, short-term language studies, participating in a conference or in sporting/cultural events, etc.

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a stay of more than 90 days within a 180-day period. It is subject to the authorisation of the cantonal migration authority competent for the intended place of residence. For example: long-term student, family reunification, marriage in Switzerland, etc.

Various regulations apply for entering Switzerland. A basic distinction is made between citizens of the European Union (EU) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries and those of other countries. The State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) is the responsible authority in Switzerland.


Since Switzerland’s adherence to the Schengen and Dublin agreements came into force (12 December 2008), Swiss representations abroad are able to issue certain categories of visa, depending on the length of stay and purpose of the journey in Switzerland. Please select one of the following options.

Airport transit visa

For citizens of certain countries who need a transit visa even if they are staying in the international transit area of the airport and do not enter the Schengen territory.

Labour / Work permits

Admission of foreign workers to an employer in Switzerland is subject to the authorisation of the competent cantonal authority. The entry visa is granted only when the requested authorisations have been delivered.