Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Wastewater Collection and Treatment Project Casta
The municipality of Casta is located in the southwest of the country, in the region of Bratislavsky Kraj and, despite its proximity to the capital Bratislava, lags behind in relation to the quality of waste water collection and treatment. Only about 60% of the population live in houses that are connected to a public sewage system, which is a very low figure compared to the average in the EU-15 (84.4%). The project aims to provide an adapted and affordable waste water collection and treatment infrastructure and to improve the quality of the underground and surface waters in the region.
Protecting the environment
- Extension of the sewage system
- Replacement of the waste water treatment plant
- Technical expertise to support the municipality of Casta in subjects such as tendering and procurement, technical supervision, external project management and audits
- Awareness raising and training
- Efficient waste water collection system is in place and operational.
- Efficient and affordable waste water treatment plant is in place and operational.
- Increase of awareness of the population for environmental issues.
- National Coordination Unit
- Government Office of the Slovak Republic
The overall project objective is to contribute to a sustainable socio-economic development in the municipality of Casta by improving their capacity to provide good quality public services and increasing the awareness of the population for environmental issues. In particular, the project will provide an adapted and affordable waste water collection and treatment infrastructure and improve the quality of the underground and surface waters in the region.
The goal of the project is to improve the municipality’s capacities by implementing adapted and affordable wastewater collection and treatment infrastructure. Besides these technical issues, the project shall also achieve socio-economic and environmental objectives.
The direct beneficiary is the municipality of Casta as owner of the waste water collection system and of the waste water treatment plant). The indirect beneficiaries are the 2'205 inhabitants of the municipality, of which about 85% shall be connected by the end of project implementation (2016) to the waste water collection and treatment system. These include domestic customers as well as small commercial enterprises and public institutions (e.g. schools, medical centre).
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Swiss Contribution to the enlarged EU
Municipality of Casta
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 5’539’305 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 5’539’305|
Phase 1 14.06.2012 - 31.12.2016 (Completed)