BioCarbon Fund Initiative for Sustainable Forest Landscapes (BioCF-ISFL)
The BioCarbon Fund Initiative for Sustainable Forest Landscapes (BioCF-ISFL) is a multilateral fund managed by the World Bank catalysing the development of low-carbon rural economies, fostering livelihoods and reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from the land sector. It engages national and sub-national governments and the private sector through impact-based payment systems. Switzerland has an interest piloting such incentive systems in order to shape development cooperation that is fit for the future.
Canbiamento climatico ed ambiente
Politica di riforestazione
- Improved land management and land use, including forests;
- Benefits for land users;
- Leveraged partnerships with and between the public and private sectors to advance the BioCF-ISFL vision and approach.
- Advanced application of impact-based payment systems;
- Mobilised Swiss private sector (public-private partnerships).
- Fostering a broad land use-based mitigation approach in which forests play a key role; prevention of further environmental degradation;
- Drawing lessons to shape other multilateral instruments, such as the Green Climate Fund (GCF);
- Bringing to the table expertise in mobilizing the private sector to engage in the international efforts;
- Switzerland engages as a strategic, like-minded partner in programme steering.
- Banca mondiale - Banca internazionale per la ricostruzione e lo sviluppo
|Contesto||Two of the world’s most pressing challenges – climate change and rural poverty – are inextricably linked. Global greenhouse gas emissions from land use account for nearly one-quarter of the total global greenhouse gas emissions. Agricultural expansion is the leading driver of deforestation globally, yet agriculture is also a major force for economic growth in developing countries. The BioCF-ISFL works in an integrative manner to incentivize alternative development pathways in these competing sectors to replace unsustainable practices and policies that are resulting in deforestation and land-and forest degradation.|
As per the BioCF-ISFL logframe:
Contribute to low carbon development by delivering benefits to communties and reducing greenhous gas emissions in BioCF- ISFL program areas and catalyzing progress beyond the BioCF-ISFL.
As per Swiss Climate Change policy/SDC-GPCCE:
Learning from BioCF-ISFL delivery mechanisms for globally upscaling mitigation approaches in the land-use sector (fulfilling international mitigation targets and achieving the goals of the Green Climate Fund (GCF)).
|Gruppi target||Client countries in Africa, Tropical America and Indonesia/governments (national and sub-national level), citizens (including women), private/ corporate sector (both global and domestic)|
|Effetti a medio termine||
Impacts in BioCF-ISFL countries as per the BioCF-ISFL logframe:
Risultati principali attesi:
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
Istituzione finanziaria internazionale
International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD)
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN), Forest Carbon Partnership Facility (FCPF), UN-REDD, Forest Investment Program (FIP), PROFOR, Climate Investment Funds (CIF), Green Climate Fund (GCF), United Convention on Biological Diversity (UN-CBD)|
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 10’000’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 10’000’000|