Strengthening the capacities of Community-Based Organisations (CBOs) serving migrants in Egypt
In Egypt, Community Based Organisations (CBOs) are key actors in responding to migrant’s basic needs. These include child and adult education, emergency assistance, medical and legal services. The project strengthens the ability of these organisations to provide these much-needed services. Moreover, CBOs will be empowered to advocate for migrant’s needs in the donor community and with decision makers. Reliable and sustainable services for migrants in Egypt also serve the migration interests of Switzerland.
 The term migrant in this proposal includes refugees, asylum seekers, new arrivals in the “pre-refugee status determination phase”, (all nationalities identified by UNHCR) and vulnerable migrants (irregular and regular) residing in Egypt.
Conflitto & fragilitá
Migrazione in generale (aspetti relativi allo sviluppo e partenariati)
Trasferimenti forzati (rifugiati, sfollati interni, tratta di esseri umani)
Prevenzione dei conflitti
- In August 2018, 233’045 refugees and asylum-seekers of 58 different nationalities are registered with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), a number estimated to represent a fraction of reality.
- In this mixed migration context, protection and livelihood gaps are poorly addressed at the national and local levels.
- Migrants face many challenges related to basic needs (i.e. housing, health care, and education), protection (psychosocial and legal support) and livelihood opportunities. In this critical situation, many reach out to CBOs for help and support.
- The services they provide include child and adult education, emergency assistance, support and referral services related to financial, medical, psychosocial and legal services. The CBOs have the greatest knowledge of community needs, the highest amount of community trust, and the most culturally and linguistically competent staff.
- EU – European Union
- UNHCR – United Nations High Committee for Refugees
- IOM – International Organisation on Migration
- TdH – Terre Des Hommes
- SDC Regional Eastern Migration Route project
Settore in base alle categorie del Comitato di Aiuto allo sviluppo (DAC) dell'OCSE GOVERNO E SOCIETÀ CIVILE
GOVERNO E SOCIETÀ CIVILE
GOVERNO E SOCIETÀ CIVILE
Sotto-Settore in base alle categorie del Comitato di Aiuto allo sviluppo (DAC) dell'OCSEFacilitation of orderly, safe, regular and responsible migration and mobility
Facilitation of orderly, safe, regular and responsible migration and mobility
Dispositivi civili di costruzione della pace, prevenzione e risoluzione dei conflitti
Temi trasversali Prevenzione delle crisi
Il progetto sostiene in via prioritaria miglioramenti nell'organizzazione partner
Tipo di aiuto Contributo al progetto e al programma
Numero del progetto
|Obiettivi||To ensure protection and sustainable services for migrants through developing the capacity of 20 Community Based Organisations and enhancing their active role in policy dialogue with authorities, UN organisations, donors and INGOs.|
The project will directly benefit 20’000 migrants receiving multiple services (up to 4 per person), such as emergency assistance, legal counseling or education; 240 staff for managerial and administrative training, and 60 trainees (50% women) with on the job training on service delivery.
Indirectly, the project will reach 100’000 family members of beneficiaries (5 members per family).
|Effetti a medio termine||
Outcome 1: Resilience of refugees and migrants in Cairo is enhanced through strengthening the institutional and operational capacities of 20 CBOs.
Outcome 2: CBOs form a network with a unified agenda and recognized status able to advocate for their community needs with international community, donors and decision makers, such as UNHCR.
Risultati principali attesi:
CBOs are able to provide direct services to migrants through training of 240 CBOs staff members by StARS.
20 CBO strategic plans (covering 3 years) will be developed through training CBOs on governance.
Hiring 60 trainee workers for CBOs (50% women) to strengthen women’s roles within CBOs and migrant communities.
CBOs will develop an electronically-recorded evidence base to use in funding applications.
An online and offline platform will be established between 20 CBOs to share knowledge, skills and provide mutual support and referrals.
20 CBOs advocacy skills will be strengthened through tailored advocacy training and case management tools.
Risultati fasi precedenti: N.A.
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
European Union (EU) - Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration US Department of State (PRM)
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 1’120’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 458’806 Budget inclusi partner del progetto CHF 8’250’000|
|Fasi del progetto||
(Fase in corso)
Fase 1 15.04.2018 - 30.11.2021 (Completed)