CASE - Culture, Art and Social Engagement
This project aims at promoting the role of people as agents of change in the occupied Palestinian territory. Culture and artistic creativity are used to enhance democratic debate, promote social inclusion and active participation of youth and women within marginalized communities and between the community and the local authorities. Local authorities will be influenced so that local development better reflects the needs of these groups.
Cultura / sensibilizzazione allo sviluppo
Partecipazione democratica e società civile
Cultura e svago
Diritti dell'uomo (diritti delle donne inclusi)
- Settore privato straniero Sud/Est
- Longstanding Israeli Occupation, including the blockade on Gaza and intra-Palestinian division have led to the fragmentation of the Palestinian society, economy and culture;
- Limited powers, weak legitimacy and capacities of the Palestinian Authority (PA) have i) led to increased fragility and fragmentation in the oPt, ii) have prevented sustainable economic development and effective public service delivery, iii) increased lack of trust of the population towards the PA and other duty-bearers iv) negatively impacted governance and space for democratic debates;
- Palestinian culture is also being challenged by the increasing influence of traditional and conservative elements/groups;
- Patriarchal attitudes and conservative traditions which, in turn, prevent full citizens’ participation into public affairs;
- In Gaza, the blockade - coupled with Hamas’ policies - has drastically restrained the space for a dynamic and diversified culture.
|Obiettivi||Enhanced social engagement and participation through arts and culture, especially for vulnerable groups of the population.|
- Vulnerable communities living in 4 selected areas, 2 in the West Bank (WB) and 2 in the Gaza Strip (GS);
- Teachers and students in 15-20 selected schools in different location in WB and the GS;
- Civic groups (youth, women, adult men) and local civil society organisations active in the above selected areas;
- Artists, and cultural organisations;
- Decision makers mainly in local government institutions: local councils and municipalities and the Ministry of Education.
|Effetti a medio termine||
- Empowered, motivated and inspired community members are able to express their aspirations and needs;
- Artistic projects that depict communities and needs are used to promote wider community dialogue, engagement and action.
Risultati principali attesi:
- Community members (at least 15’000) including a minimum of 35% female (expected up to 49%), actively participate in the project activities, and at least 10 community self-initiated interventions have resulted from participation in the project;
- Art projects (at least 30) inspired from people’s needs have been created and presented to the general public and to decision makers, and a number of art projects have generated favourable action by local authorities.
Risultati fasi precedenti:
- The project has engaged with local communities in more than 20 marginalised localities in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, reaching out to more than 10,500 community members 49% are female;
- Active participation of different communities in the project activities and 10 self-initiated interventions have resulted from participation in the project;
- 30 Art projects inspired by people’s needs have been created and presented to the general public and to decision makers, and a number of art projects have generated favourable action by local authorities.
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
The Abdel Mohsen Qattan Foundation (AMQF) is an independent developmental organization registered in the oPt as non-profit foundation.
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
- Local Governance projects: Safe Spaces, Gaza Vulnerable Communities Development (GVCD) and Support to village councils in area C (LGRP);
- Rule of Law and Protection domain;
- Dialogue with like-minded donors working in the cultural and/or local governance sectors and working on social accountability and participation.
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 1’560’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 554’200|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 2 01.01.2020 - 31.12.2023 (Fase in corso) Fase 1 01.09.2013 - 31.12.2019 (Completed)|