«Bai Alai» Small Business and Income Creation in Alai and Chon-Alai
Alai and Chon Alai are two of the poorest regions in Kyrgyzstan. The project aims at increasing economic inclusion of producing households through increased income and employment, with the focus on women and youth. During this exit phase (III) the project capitalizes and disseminates good practices in apiculture and cattle, and continues activities handicraft and tourism value chains, until phasing out in May 2024.
Emploi & développement économique
Agriculture et sécurité alimentaire
Développement de petites et moyennes entreprises
Services agricoles & marché
- 3,900 producing farming/entrepreneurs households (total of 19,490 beneficiaries - 1,000 are new beneficiaries), incl. females: 50%; youth: 25% in promoted value chains, in Alai and Chon-Alai districts.
- Local cooperatives and business associations.
- Lead firms, microfinance institutes and advisory service providers.
- Municipal, district, provincial administrations and councils.
- 3,695 producing farming/entrepreneurs households (or 18,490 beneficiaries) increased their income significantly;
- enabled and generated additional sales for USD 5,560,332 or 27% above phase target (USD 4,365,177);
- increased net income of cumulative amount of USD 3,361,336 or 97% above the phase target of USD 1,700,000.
- HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation
- SDC-(co-)funded Sustainable Economic Development project (implemented by GIZ) on local economic development.
- SECO-funded TAs: -Small Business Initiative (on business advisory services); - Trade Promotion in T&C (on market linkages); and - Winter Tourism Project (on tourism).
|Contexte||Alai and Chon Alai are mountainous and remote districts of Osh province in southwestern Kyrgyzstan, bordering with Tajikistan and China, with a total population of 126,511. Due to harsh climatic conditions coupled with high altitude, living conditions in these regions are difficult. Poverty rate in project areas decreased from 54% in 2017 to 40% in 2021. Main occupation of local population is livestock, crop farming agriculture and tourism. Providing strategic support to local value chains and local market system development is contributing to economic inclusion and to generate sustainable household incomes in the region.|
|Objectifs||Increased economic inclusion of producing households in Alai and Chon-Alai, in particular also of women and youth.|
|Effets à moyen terme||Building and capitalizing on BAP activities/initiatives, lessons learnt and partnerships from previous phases, in its exit phase, BAP III will enable MSMEs and producers within selected value chains, including women and youth to increase their sales sustainably.|
Principaux résultats attendus:
Principaux résultats antérieurs:
During phase II, Bai Alai Project (BAP):
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
|Partenaire de projet||
Organisation suisse à but non lucratif
Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation and Aga Khan Foundation (sub-contracted)
|Coordination avec d'autres projets et acteurs||
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 1’000’000 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 240’000|
|Phases du projet||Phase 3 01.06.2022 - 31.05.2024 (Phase en cours) Phase 2 01.06.2018 - 31.05.2022 (Completed) Phase 1 01.05.2014 - 31.05.2018 (Completed)|