Sharique Phase IV : SDC LGov Programme
Sharique has developed a proven capacity development model for urban municipalities strengthening participative and inclusive development planning, transparent budgeting, taxation and representation of women and poor citizens in decision-making and service delivery. In this exit phase, the model will be internalized and applied in two additional districts by national training institutions, empowering 0.8 million citizens to influence planning and provision of public services.
Gestión de las finanzas públicas
Participación democrática y sociedad civil
- 167 UPs in the districts of Gaibandha and Barisal will go through the complete package of capacity building for improved Local Governance. 407’000 rural citizens in those Unions will benefit directly.
- 207 UPs in four districts covered in the previous phase will consolidate their practice through light peer learning. (About 400’000 beneficiaries).
- The National Institute of Local Government will be strengthened and partner with other specialized public training institutes in the fields of UP planning and public finance management.
- Citizens participate more effectively in decision-making and hold Union Parishads to account in the selected (2) districts.
- Union Parishads in the selected (6) districts apply more effective, accountable and inclusive public management systems.
- National actors use and institutionalize tested SHARIQUE capacity development tools and delivery model for strengthening Union Parishad governance.
- Citizen are mobilised to engage meaningfully in Union Parishad planning and in oversight of public services delivered in the Unions.
- BRDB builds the capacities of Union Parishads using Sharique tools following a district based approach in 2 districts.
- Selected national public training institutes have revised their curricula based on Sharique tools.
- NILG developed a model for decentralized delegated training delivery.
- The stronger capacities and link between the Union Parishads (UPs) and the citizens has resulted in 32% increase of UPs own source revenues (increased taxes) from 2013 to 2016.
- By 2016, 207 UPs allocated in average 43% of their annual budgets in favor of targeted services for poor and women citizen (in 2013 it was 9%).
- Some of the emerging practices were institutionalized and have become part of the UP system (e.g. UDCC as a platform for service providers’ coordination, and ward planning methodology).
- HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation
The Seventh Five Years Plan 2016-2020 of the Government of Bangladesh (GoB) recognizes that Local Governments are key vehicles for local democracy and service-delivery. Local Governance reform has been unfolding slowly since the adoption of promising laws in 2009-2011. The main efforts made by GoB have been in increasing the financial volumes of transfers to Local Governments. Human resources remain weak and need further strengthening to manage local affairs effectively and to allow citizen participation for prioritisation and oversight of services.
Sharique contributes to the empowerment of local citizens to make and implement inclusive, gender sensitive and pro-poor collective choices about their lives and livelihoods through more democratic, transparent, inclusive and effective local government systems
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación al desarrollo
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Organización suiza sin fines de lucro
Public institutes: National Institute of Local Government, Institute of Public Finance, National Academy for Planning and Development, Local Government Division
Civil society: BUPF (Local Government association), Manusher Jonno Foundation, Steps towards Development
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
Other relevant development programmes: LGSP III (WB) , SALG (UNDP)
Other SDC projects: Horizontal Learning Programme, Aparajita women’s political empowerment, Shomoshti
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 5'976'424 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 5'696'424|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 4 01.03.2017 - 30.11.2020 (Fase en curso) Fase 3 01.09.2013 - 28.02.2017 (Completed) Fase 2 01.09.2009 - 31.08.2013 (Completed)|