ELECT – Elections libres et crédibles en Tunisie
The project supports the orderly conduct of the 2019 Electoral process in Tunisia (legislative and presidential elections). It aims at ensuring International and African observation missions and enabling local NGOs to co-lead the process. This short term project completes and facilitates Switzerland’s support to democratic processes in the field of accountability and citizen participation since 2011.
Participación democrática y sociedad civil
Derechos humanos (incluidos los derechos de las mujeres)
- Direct beneficiaries: Electoral authorities, national and international observers and national civil society organizations and directly targeted electorate groups of women, youth and other vulnerable groups.
- Indirect beneficiaries: The public at large, journalists, constitutional bodies and different Ministries, civil society organizations.
- Credible, trusted, International and African observation efforts shape perceptions of key domestic and International stakeholders about the integrity of the electoral process, asserting the legitimacy of institutions.
- National civil society are in a better position to reach out to voters, assess, witness and contribute to the plurality, credibility and impartiality of the 2019 Tunisian electoral process.
- OS1: The quality and the credibility of the electoral process throughout its different rounds is impartially and professionally assessed by joint efforts utilizing short-term and long-term accredited observers of International and African non-governmental observation missions.
- OS2: At least ten Tunisian CSOs are technically better equipped to provide quality voters’ mobilization (women, men and other vulnerable groups) and education services, effective citizen election observation missions in a professional and orderly manner, in coordination with the ISIE and other national and international efforts.
- OS1: The Carter Center (TCC) and the Electoral Institute for Sustainable Democracy in Africa (EISA) will be contracted for their respective missions and the joint operations.
- OS2: Two to three implementing organizations will be contracted to administer the funds after a call for proposals among the members of the ISIE’s Elections’ Coordination Group.
- OS1 is cofunded with USAID for TCC and Sweden for EISA.
- OS2 will be complementary to direct CSOs support funded by USAID and Canada in particular.
|Contexto||After 8 years of political transition, the 2019 electoral cycle is crucial to assert the credibility of institutions arising from the 2014 constitution. After years of struggle against external pressures and internal difficulties, the High Independent Authority for Elections ISIE performed well in the organization of the 2018 municipal elections. This year’s process however will stretch capacities to their maximum. Switzerland’s and the International Community’s support to the Electoral process, including the current intermediary phase of the Swiss Elections Program (PSPET) are meant to support the institutional strengthening of electoral institutions. International observation missions and national civil society actors are crucial to legitimize the electoral processes.|
|Objetivos||Contribute to the consolidation of democratic governance in Tunisia by ensuring the orderly, credible and representative election of a new president in September and a new legislature in October 2019.|
|Efectos a medio plazo||
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación al desarrollo
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 1'950'000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 0 Presupuesto inclusive contrapartes del proyecto CHF 3'379'040|