Recovery and stabilization support to Eastern Ukraine: Good Governance and Citizens' Engagement
The conflict in Eastern Ukraine has put a massive toll on key public infrastructure. 20% of active households have experienced employment loss and reduced livelihoods, and thousands of families have been separated from their relatives across the contact line. This contribution to the UN-led Recovery and Peacebuilding program aims at strengthening the capacities of regional and local governments to make more effective use of increased funding for addressing pressing recovery needs, supporting local dialogue and trust building.
Conflito y fragilidad
Prevención de los conflictos
Derechos humanos (incluidos los derechos de las mujeres)
- Programa de las Naciones Unidas para el Desarrollo
|Contexto||The conflict has put a massive toll on the economy and public infrastructure in Donetsk and Luhansk regions, weakened the governance systems due to chronic Jack of human resources and deteriorated the levels of social eohesion and trust in state institutions. At the same time, in the government-controlled areas of eastern Ukraine international assistance and special national subventions have contributed to a modest recovery of the region. These interventions are focusing on creating job opportunities, rebuilding civilian infrastructure, integrating lnternally Displaced People and supporting the state and regional authorities in stimulating the local economy. To translate the significantly enhanced local budgets and international assistance into effective and inclusive service delivery to the population in the conflict-affected region, stronger regional and local governance systems are needed.|
|Objetivos||Promote peace and stabilisation in eastern Ukraine through good regional and local governance and citizen engagement for community security, law enforcement, access to justice and for increased social cohesion.|
|Grupos destinarios||5 million citizens living in the conflict region, local self-governments, citizens' groups, civil society organizations and media in the target communities of Donetsk and Luhansk regions.|
|Efectos a medio plazo||
1. Capable, inclusive and accountable local governance institutions contribute to conflict risk mitigation and peacebuilding (Swiss earmarking)
2. Enhanced community security, law enforcement and access to justice services that are closer to the people in conflict affected areas
3. Successfully decentralised and participatory environmental protection promotes a cleaner environment in the conflict affected areas
4. Social cohesion and citizens' influence on local development decisions strengthened (Swiss earmarking)
1. lnstitutional capacities of local authorities strengthened to operate in a conflict sensitive manner and handle good governance requirements pre and post territorial amalgamation.
2. New or improved institutions with effective reach-out facilities for citizens' administrative support in conflict affected areas and for state/civil society consultations are in place and operating.
3. lncreased conflict-sensitive dialogue for territorial community development between well-informed citizens and local self-governments.
4. Capacities for conflict and gender-sensitive community development strategies/projects planning, implementation and monitoring strengthened.
5. Strengthened civic activism and volunteering that effectively promote social cohesion and peacebuilding.
6. Strengthened capacities of regional and local mass media, and enhanced policy making for conflict affected regions.
Resultados de las fases anteriores: Results from the previous 30 months contribution to UNDP's Recovery and Peace Building Programme (7F-09205.01): 7 Citizen Advisory Bureaus established to temporarily reinforce local government capacities to provide administrative, psychological and legal aid services to people in need; 5 advisors for governors and 33 experts for 15 city administrations in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts seconded to strengthen institutional capacities of local governments; over 45,000 administrative and advisory services provided to citizens and over 76,000 beneficiaries involved in exchange programs, dialogue platforms and trust building activities.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación con Europa del Este
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Organización de las Naciones Unidas (ONU)
United Nations Development Program - UNDP Ukraine
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
• Support to Decentralization in Ukraine DESPRO (in Luhansk region)
• Other international donors supporting recovery and peacebuilding in eastern Ukraine (EU, USAID, Denmark, Sweden, Canada)
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 2'000'000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 1'265'000|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 2 01.12.2018 - 31.01.2022 (Fase en curso) Fase 1 01.07.2017 - 30.06.2020 (Fase en curso)|