GVCD - Gaza Vulnerable Communities Development Programme
Through the Gaza Vulnerable Communities Development Programme, Switzerland contributes to covering basic needs and fostering social cohesion in the Gaza Strip. The successful intervention model applied in the 1st Phase is extended and scaled up under this 2nd Phase. Small infrastructure projects addressing basic needs of vulnerable communities serve as an entry point for a local dialogue on development priorities, enabled through building the capacities of both duty bearers and right holders, including youth and women.
Occupied Palestinian Territory
Employment & economic development
Human rights (incl. Women's rights)
- National State Institute North
- SDC Field Office
|Background||Gaza Strip`s context remains fragile due to the Israeli closure and the internal Palestinian divide for the past 15 years. The communities located near the eastern border of the Strip, which are targeted with this intervention, are among the most vulnerable ones. Their agricultural lands are designated as Access Restricted Areas by the Israeli authorities, thus severely limiting access to these fertile lands. Their rural character, marginal location and relatively small population size do not grant them enough funding through established channels, such as the Municipal Development Programme (MDP).|
|Objectives||Improved provision of quality essential services for vulnerable communities in Gaza Strip through enhanced citizen participation in local service delivery and decision-making.|
- Vulnerable communities in the South East of the Gaza Strip. 30,000 citizens will benefit directly, and 100,000 indirectly, from the project.
- Civic groups (including youth, women and persons with disabilities), neighbourhood committees and local civil society organisations active in the selected municipalities.
- Municipal councils and technical staff in the selected municipalities as well as MDLF Gaza-based staff.
- Improved and accountable local service delivery for vulnerable communities.
- Strengthened accountability of local authorities towards citizens through capacity building and inclusive participation of youth, women and civic groups in local decision-making processes.
- Municipal authorities, civil groups and citizens trained on civic participation (CP) and social accountability (SA).
- 7 new infrastructure projects selected by inclusive local committees.
- 5 top-up infrastructure projects for municipalities from phase 1.
- 15-20 local initiatives financed through a small grant programme.
- 1 training manual updated.
- Media campaigns carried out in the new areas to sensitize about citizen engagement.
- Municipal authorities and service providers are held accountable in all the stages of infrastructure projects (planning, implementation, monitoring).
Results from previous phases:
- Assessment of vulnerabilities carried out by a local NGO, Palestinian Centre for Democracy and Conflict Resolution (PCDCR), contracted by the implementing partner, Municipal Development and Lending Fund (MDLF). Based on the multiple criteria assessment the communities were selected.
- 9 infrastructure projects were implemented to improve life quality in the targeted vulnerable communities. The projects ranged from road rehabilitation to sewage network overhaul and expansion in 7 municipalities in the Gaza Strip.
- A training manual adapted to local needs was developed by PCDCR.
- Citizens of 7 targeted communities were empowered with training on social accountability, leadership, human rights and gender, and organized in local committees.
- 7 local authorities were trained in issues regarding good governance, civic participation and social accountability.
- The local committees of empowered citizens entered into a facilitated dialogue with their respective municipal authorities to identify and prioritise the infrastructure projects they needed funding for.
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
International or foreign NGO
Municipal Development and Lending Fund
|Coordination with other projects and actors||
· GIZ-funded Strengthening the Resilience of Gaza Vulnerable Communities Project (SRGVC)
· Municipal Development Programme
- Support MoLG`s strategy and relevant budgets
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 6’820’000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 369’926 Total project since first phase Budget inclusive project partner CHF 12’000’000|
|Project phases||Phase 2 01.01.2022 - 31.12.2024 (Current phase) Phase 1 01.10.2017 - 31.12.2021 (Completed)|