DRC Contribution – Mixed Migration; Horn of Africa and Yemen
The aim of this intervention is to prevent violations against and increase protection for people in mixed migration flows in the HoA and Yemen region. It is a contribution to the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) with focus on two specific partial actions: I) supports activities on protection needs and awareness raising in Puntland, II) strengthens information and knowledge sharing on a regional level in the HoA.
Horn of Africa
Forced displacement (refugees, IDP, human trafficking)
Migration generally (development aspects and partnerships)
- People in mixed migration flows in the region, with focus on Puntland, as well as host communities
- Government agencies, international organisations, donors, intergovernmental entities, civil society, MMTFs, academics, media centres benefiting from enhanced knowledge and information on mixed migration flows
- RMMS is operational
- Initiated, together with UNHCR and IOM, a new Kenya Mixed Migration Task Force (MMTF)
- Management of MMTF Somalia
- Monthly Mixed Migration Report
- Runs a Website and e-library on migration and related issues
- Gives presentations at international and regional conferences
- Links stakeholders involved in the issue of migration such as government agencies, interregional entities, international organisations etc.
- Other international or foreign NGO North
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
The HoA and Yemen are faced with unprecedented levels of mixed migration. Over 107’000 people crossed the Gulf of Aden or the Red Sea to Yemen and beyond in 2012; 25% of it crossing from Bosaso (Puntland). People in mixed migration flows face numerous rights violations during their travel, upon arrival and also in transit. There is a general lack of knowledge and information of the protection needs, and respect for the rights of people in mixed migration flows in the HoA. Partial Action I of this intervention focuses on protection needs in Puntland, while Partial Action II supports the Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat (RMMS) in its information sharing and awareness raising of protection needs in a regional context.
To strengthen protection of people in mixed migration flows (refugees, IDPs, migrants) in the HoA and Yemen region.
Preventing rights violations in mixed migration flows in Puntland and protecting people in mixed migration flows from dangerous onward migration and facilitating reintegration of Somali returnees from the Arabian Peninsula
Results from previous phases:
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 950'000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 934'783|
Phase 2 01.07.2013 - 31.12.2015 (Completed)