Economic Opportunities for Multiethnic Villages
The project will support Roma craftspeople in three villages in Archita, Viscri and Malancrav to adapt their handicraft skill to the current tourism market, become part of the formal economy and expand the sale to new locations.
Soziale Sicherheit erhöhen
- 2 social economy or individual enterprise structures have been created in Archita;
- 3 strategic action plans (Whole Village Local Action Plans) have been developed aiming at strengthening the community relations and common vision,
- 117 persons have been consulted and participated in the elaboration of the Whole Village Local Action Plans;
- 32 potential beneficiaries from the localities Mălâncrav and Archita who participated to a training program in rural entrepreneurship (as support in establishing socio-economic entities), 5 were of Roma origin;
- 18 sale events have been organised within which 528 items have been sold.
A large number of Roma in Romania live in poverty. In 2007 the absolute poverty rate among the Roma was five times higher than the value registered for the overall population.
One of the biggest problems is the lack of income, which is linked to other major problems, particularly in areas such as housing, education and health. A person perceived as Roma will have lower chances of getting formally employed or being considered a reliable entrepreneur. Archita, the main target area of the project is an isolated village lacking economic opportunities, meanwhile Malancrav and Viscri tourist interest points. Although at different stages of socio-economic background, in all three communities the Roma feel disempowered and lack the confidence to formalize their economic activities.
The overall goal of the project is the empowerment of Roma communities to take part in the formal economy.
The specific objectives are:
1. Economic empowerment of the members of Roma communities in Archita (Mureş County) and Mălâncrav (Sibiu County) to successfully create by the end of the project at least two social economy or individual enterprise structures (one in each village).
2. Strengthening of community relations and vision translated into Whole Village Local Action Plans for the benefiting villages: Archita (Mureş County), Mălâncrav (Sibiu County) and Viscri (Braşov County).
3. Increase in the sale of locally handcrafted objects produced by Roma members of Roma communities in Archita, Mălâncrav and Viscri with at least 500 items, through new channels (local market in Sighişoara (Mureş County) and online means) till the end of the project.
To reach objective 1, the traditional crafts of the area are taken into consideration and capitalized, especially those pertaining to the Roma population stimulating the authentic potential. It will lead to the formalisation of the economic activity of 6 craftswomen/-man from the two targeted villages and 2 economic structures will be created.
To reach objective 2, a community development component called Whole Village Local Action Plan will be implemented where local authorities will work together with the community. Trainings will also be realized for the representatives of local authorities from the 3 villages, the team of MET and also other stakeholders from the area, including other local authorities.
To reach objective 3, the first step will be to establish collaboration between designers and Roma craftsmen. A weekly market in the citadel of Sighişoara will be organized ensuring the participation of the 2 formalized economic structures to national exhibitions and fairs.
Schweizer Beitrag an die erweiterte EU
|Budget||Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 159'155 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 144'000|
Phase 8 01.10.2015 - 31.08.2017 (Completed)Phase 7 01.02.2016 - 30.11.2018 (Completed) Phase 6 01.01.2014 - 31.12.2017 (Completed) Phase 5 01.05.2013 - 31.03.2019 (Completed) Phase 2 01.03.2012 - 30.11.2019 (Completed) Phase 1 01.03.2012 - 30.11.2019 (Completed)