Strengthening the Systems that Combat Corruption and Impunity (MACCIH-CICIG) in Central America
Honduras and Guatemala requested the Organization of American States and the United Nations to create mechanisms to combat corruption and impunity. The Support Mission Against Corruption and Impunity in Honduras and the International Commission Against Impunity in Guatemala are supported by international cooperation in improving the justice system, the public prosecutor, and the anti-corruption and Human Rights protection agencies. COSUDE contributes to existing mandates and strengthens regional interchange.
Weiterentwicklung von Recht und Rechtsprechung
- Representatives of government: National Congress, Judicial System, public prosecutor, and the State comptroller bodies;
- Representatives of civil society;
- Representatives of the UN, OAS and international cooperation agencies;
- The population of Honduras and Guatemala through the application of Justice and the guarantee of their Human Rights.
- The institutions of the States of Honduras and Guatemala, strengthened by MACCIH and CICIG, improve their capacities to prevent, investigate and sanction acts of corruption and impunity with a focus on human trafficking, money laundering and drug trafficking.
- The justice system of Honduras and Guatemala perfects mechanisms for accountability, transparency, fighting crime, and fulfilling Human Rights.
- The Congresses of the Republic and the presidencies of Honduras and Guatemala approve legal and institutional reforms for anti-corruption, transparency, and impunity, including the private sector.
- International judges and prosecutors supervise and provide technical assistance that improves the system of justice operators.
- National accountability systems use international guidelines for investigating and combating corruption and organized crime.
- Civil Society participates in building mechanisms for observing and monitoring justice.
- Public institutions are strengthened in protecting human rights defenders, journalists, social communicators and justice operators.
- Other OI
The Governments of Guatemala and Honduras, facing diverse social protests against violence and corruption, prioritized mechanisms for transparency and combating corruption. With assistance from the United Nations (UN) in Guatemala, the International Commission Against Impunity (CICIG) was installed in 2006. In January 2016, the government of Honduras signed the creation of the Support Mission Against Corruption and Impunity (MACCIH) with the OAS. Due to their progress, both bodies are viewed by the population and cooperation agencies as options that strengthen the rule of law, Justice and Human Rights, highlighting the struggle against corruption and organized crime.
The national justice system and the authorities of the governments of Honduras and Guatemala for combating corruption and impunity apply and comply with the Laws and Human Rights.
Resultate von früheren Phasen:
COSUDE and other cooperation agencies have provided specific collaboration of these topics. CICIG has made significant progress in institution building in Guatemala. In Honduras, MACCIH has initiated important anti-corruption proposals. This will be the first phase for COSUDE contributing to MACCIH, and it will facilitate coordination and knowledge management with CICIG in Guatemala, increasing the regional impact.
Andere internationale Organisation
|Koordination mit anderen Projekten und Akteuren||
MACCIH began operations in June 2016 with financial support from the USA, the EU, Germany, Canada, and Italy among other cooperation partners. The contribution to this mechanism complements COSUDE’s actions in Governance, Public Safety, Human Rights, and combating corruption in Central America.
CICIG is an example of support for institutions combating corruption and mafia and applying justice. It is coherent with external cooperation and COSUDE’s cooperation in Guatemala. Both initiatives operate with medium term mandate agreements with the governments of Honduras and Guatemala.
Interchange between CICIG and MACCIH to combat human trafficking, money laundering, and drug trafficking, will be facilitated by the Swiss contribution; the Swiss contribution will also allow for interchanges of experiences between initiatives, improving synergies and willingness to act in the region.
|Budget||Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 3’150’000 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 2’972’530|