Civil Status - New Zealand

Registering Births, Deaths, Marriages, etc.

Changes in marital status, name changes, the birth of children and the death of Swiss citizens must be notified to the Embassy of Switzerland in Wellington, which in turn will forward the information to the relevant authorities in Switzerland. Failure to provide accurate and updated documentation may cause delays in the issuing of new Swiss identity documents and in other services from the Embassy. New Zealand Registry Offices do not inform the Embassy of Switzerland of the birth, death or marriage of a Swiss citizen.

If you reside or intend to reside in New Zealand for one year or more and you are not yet registered with the Embassy, please refer to the page Registration first. To register births, deaths, marriages, etc. with the Embassy, you need to be registered first.

For a step-by-step guide, including which documents to submit, please click on one of the options below:

Getting married in Switzerland / form a registered partnership in Switzerland

If you would like to get married / form a civil union in Switzerland you will need to go through a process called marriage preparation.

Personal appearance at the Embassy of Switzerland in Wellington is required. Please note that you must book an appointment beforehand. 

Factsheet (PDF, 376.6 kB, English)