Marriage and registered partnership

Requirements for registration in Switzerland of birth, adoption, marriage, divorce or death in Namibia

Should one of the events mentioned above concerning a Swiss citizen occur in Namibia, the relevant documents will be required for the updating of the Swiss civil status registers. All documents have to be sent to the Regional Consular Centre in Pretoria.

No abridged certificates will be accepted. Documents must be in original with seal and signature of the competent Officer of the Department of Home Affairs or the Registrar of the (High) Court in charge. Good certified photocopies, issued by the competent Officer by the Namibian Police (Commissioner of Oaths) can also be accepted.

The required documents must always be issued by the responsible authority of the country where the event took place. If another country is involved, it is recommended to inquire with the Regional Consular Centre in Pretoria, which document is accepted by the Swiss authorities.

If the place of origin of the Swiss citizen is situated in Canton of Zürich or Vaud (Waadt), an Apostille is required for all the documents.

Authority Address and phone numbers
Department of Home Affairs
in Windhoek
Other branch offices of the Dep. 
of Home Affairs to be found on the wwbsite:  

Corner of Casino Street and Independence Avenue
Cower Building
Private Bag 13200

Tel.  00264 (0)61 292 9111

Opening hours:

Registrar of the High Court
in Windhoek
Other branch offices of the 
High Court to be found on the website:

Corner of John Meynhart and 
Luderitz Street
Private Bag 13179

Tel. 00264 (0)61 292 1111

Opening hours:

Commissioner of Oaths Any police station

To register either a marriage or a partnership in Switzerland or abroad, your main point of reference is the registry office in which you have decided to celebrate the marriage or conclude your partnership. It is normally this office that decides what documents are required to mark this civil status event.

List of registry offices in Switzerland (de, fr, it)

You are advised nonetheless to learn in advance about the formalities involved and the civil status documents that may have to be prepared prior to the celebration of a civil status event. These advance steps will facilitate matters when it comes to entering your marriage or registered partnership in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar). To register in the register Infostar, the documents listed on this webpage are to be submitted to the Swiss representation competent for the country where the celebration has taken place.

If you plan to take up residence in Switzerland after marrying or registering a partnership, bear in mind that your foreign spouse or partner will need a residence permit and may require an entry visa. Please consult the Visa – Entry to and Residence in Switzerland section regarding an application to enter Switzerland for the purpose of family reunification.

If you are registered with a Swiss representation and have married or entered into a registered partnership in Switzerland you will need to report your change in civil status to the representation concerned so that the register of the Swiss Abroad can be updated. This will require submission of the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form):

  • photocopy of the Swiss marriage certificate, Swiss family record or Swiss registered partnership document;
  • photocopy of the identity document of the foreign spouse or partner.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

If prior to the marriage or registered partnership your Swiss spouse or partner was not resident in the consular district of the Swiss representation, and plans to take up residence with you following the said civil status event, he or she will have to register in accordance with the application procedure described under the heading “Registration and change of address”.

  • Full or Unabridged Marriage Certificate 
    (Civil Union: Full/Unabridged Civil Union Certificate accepted as well) 
    (Issuing authority in Namibia: Home Affairs)
  • Full or Unabridged Birth Certificate of non Swiss spouse
    (as mentioned under Birth, point 1) 
    (Issuing authority in Namibia: Home Affairs)
  • Certified copy of passport of non Swiss spouse 
    (Issuing authority in Namibia: Certified by Commissioner of Oaths)
  • Form Questionnaire for Marriage Registration, completed and signed 
    (Issuing authority in Namibia: Consulate General)

Additional documents:
If the non Swiss husband or wife has been previously married:

  • Final Order of Divorce of the non Swiss spouse 
    (Issuing authority in Namibia: High Court)

If the previous wife or husband died:

  • Death Certificate of the previous spouse 
    (Issuing authority in Namibia: Home Affairs)

If the wife keeps her maiden name and only holds a Swiss passport:

  • Declaration of name 
    (Issuing authority in Namibia: Consulate General Cape Town (fee involved)