Divorce abroad

Foreign decisions on divorce or legal separation are normally recognised in Switzerland when handed down in the country of domicile or of habitual residence, or the state of nationality of one of the spouses, or if recognised in one of these countries (Federal Act on Private International Law (SR 291)).

Federal Act on Private International Law (SR 291) (de, fr, it)

To register a divorce pronounced abroad in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar) the documents listed on this webpage are to be submitted to the Swiss representation competent for the country in which the divorce was pronounced:

  • Original Divorce Decree Absolute (bearing the original seal of the High Court of Justice). If applicable, a court order concerning parental responsibility for child(ren) and/or minor(s).

These documents have to be legalized/endorsed by the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs before they are submitted to the Regional Consular Center Bangkok.

Address for legalization/endorsement:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Wisma Putra)
Consular Division
No. 1, Jalan Wisma Putra
Precinct 1
62602 Putrajaya
Phone: +3 8887 4127

Divorce in Switzerland

In the case of a divorce pronounced in Switzerland, persons registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the change of civil status. This requires submitting the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form) so that the register of the Swiss abroad can be updated:

  • photocopy of the divorce decree with the date on which it takes effect
  • photocopy of the decision concerning the parental authority of any children of the couple with the date when it takes effect
  • Where applicable changes of address of the divorced couple

There is no fee for the registration in question.