UNRWA General Fund 2014 - 2015
UNRWA is an agency for security and human development. It is active in providing education, healthcare, social services and emergency aid to almost 5 million Palestine refugees living in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon and the Syrian Arab Republic. Switzerland supports the organisation with CHF 20 million per year.
Konflikt & Fragilität
Humanitäre Hilfe & DRR
Zwangsvertreibung (Flüchtlinge, Binnenvertriebene, Menschenhandel)
Nicht spezifizierter Sektor
- Medical services provided to 3.6 Mio refugees per year. The health reform improved quality of care, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- 500,000 students attended 685 schools. The education reform generated positive classroom changes.
- 300’000 refugees supported by a social safety-net (food aid and cash). In addition, emergency assistance was quickly expanded in response to the conflicts, reaching 1.4 Mio persons.
- Planning and decision-making greatly improved with the finalization of the Medium-Term-Strategy 2016-21 (MTS) and the launch of the Enterprise Resource Planning System (ERP).
- Resource mobilization has been particularly successful in the fundraising with Arab countries (their 2015 contribution to the General Fund increased to 7.5%) and the private sector (each dollar invested generated a return of 17 dollars).
- Switzerland exerted strong leadership in UNRWA’s Advisory Commission (AdCom): Between 2014-2015, Switzerland headed the AdCom’s Sub-Committee, and, since July 2015, assumes the vice-chairmanship of the AdCom. Switzerland provided policy support, platforms for stakeholders’ dialogue and facilitation work - which were instrumental in supporting the reform process and the finalization of the MTS.
- Switzerland financial support has contributed to catalyst initiatives enabling various programme (health and education) and management (resource mobilization, ERP) reforms - which have led to unmistakable improvements.
- Ensure universal access to quality and comprehensive primary health care; prevent and control diseases.
- Ensure universal access to basic education; enhance quality; improve access for learners with special needs.
- Reduce abject poverty; offer inclusive financial services; improve employability; improve camps’ environment.
- Ensure service delivery matches protection needs; advance rights of refugees by promoting respect for human rights and IHL; ensure registration is carried out in accordance with international standards.
- Management reforms are systematized to strengthen UNRWA’s capacity to serve Palestine refugees.
- Resource mobilization efforts attract the required additional resources.
- Strengthen the protection approach and the field interventions and increase stakeholders’ understanding of the approach.
- Enhance Palestine refugees’ livelihood opportunities by increasing the financial services available to them and improve their employability.
- Support efficient and effective management by ensuring that upcoming reforms (i.e. resource mobilization, new budget process, internal communication) are adequately funded and supported by stakeholders.
- Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East
UNRWA’s temporary mandate from the General Assembly is to respond to the needs of Palestine refugees living in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and the occupied Palestinian territory, until a durable and just solution is found.
|Strategische Schwerpunkte der Schweiz und der Organisation und deren Kohärenz||
UNRWA’s mandate is in line with: Message on International Cooperation; Swiss foreign policy priorities; Strategic Framework Near East; Cooperation Strategies for oPt and Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and Iraq.
|Resultate des Engagement der Organisation der vorangehenden Phase||
|Resultate des Schweizer Engagement der vorangehenden Phase||
|Mittelfristige Wirkung des gegenwärtigen Engagements der Organisation||
|Mittelfristige Wirkung des gegenwärtigen Engagements der Schweiz||
Organisation der Vereinten Nationen (UNO)
|Budget||Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 41’700’000 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 41’700’000|
|Platz der Schweiz auf der Rangliste der Grösse der Geberbeiträge||
Currently 6th donor to the General Fund - 11th donor for overall contribution to UNRWA (including emergency appeals, strategic projects).
The top five donors are the European Commission, USA, UK, Sweden, and Norway. The 25 main donors are part of the Advisory Commission, together with host states.
|Koordination mit anderen Projekten und Akteuren||
Switzerland seeks and facilitates coordination, particularly with like-minded donors and host countries.
Phase 44 01.01.2014 - 31.12.2015 (Completed)