You wish to report your divorce.
Foreign decisions on divorce or legal separation are normally recognised in Switzerland when handed down in the country of domicile or of habitual residence, or the state of nationality of one of the spouses, or if recognised in one of these countries (Federal Act on Private International Law (SR 291)).
To register a divorce pronounced abroad in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar), the originals of the following documents must be as a rule submitted to the Swiss representation with any necessary legalisation for forwarding to Switzerland:
- divorce decree with the date on which it takes effect
- decision concerning the parental authority of any children of the couple with the date when it takes effect
- where applicable, changes of address of the divorced couple
These documents are intended to the competent civil status authority and will not be returned.
Information for Swiss abroad in Hong Kong:
As soon as a divorce is final, please send/bring the certified copies or the originals of the divorce decree to this Consulate General. In order to register a divorce, the three following documents are required:
- Decree Nisi
- Decree Nisi Absolute
These documents will be validated and forwarded to the Swiss authorities free of charge. The originals will be returned to you. Please keep in mind that the divorce may have an effect on your or your spouse's family name.
For more information, please do not hesitate to contact this Consulate General: firstname.lastname@example.org
or Tel: +852 3509 5000
Divorce in Switzerland
In the case of a divorce pronounced in Switzerland, persons registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the change of civil status. This requires submitting the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form) so that the register of the Swiss abroad can be updated:
- photocopy of the divorce decree with the date on which it takes effect
- photocopy of the decision concerning the parental authority of any children of the couple with the date when it takes effect
- Where applicable changes of address of the divorced couple
There is no fee for the registration in question.