Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Promotion of Tenure Track – The Tenure Track Pilot Programme (TTPP)
Top researchers and their teams receive financial support and favourable conditions in Croatian research institutions to realise their research. By this, Croatia remains attractive for scientists with high potential. Brain drain is prevented. Switzerland contributes to enhancing the Croatian research system by promoting a new career model for future professors.
Favorire la crescita economica e migliorare le condizioni di lavoro
Ricerca e sviluppo
- Young excellent researchers who participate in the tenure career model achieve international research level
- The academic institutions gain new experience and increased skills in research and management capacities
- The internationally recognized Tenure Track model is designed for the Croatian context and evaluated, with the perspective of up-scaling the pilot programme to the entire research community in Croatia
- Preparation of call
- Selection of researchers and mentors
- Perform research
- Evaluate Tenure Track Model
- A high level research panel has identified four top researchers and their relevant research topics according to the evaluation criteria---The future Principle Investigators are going to be contracted and to establish their research teams in 2019.
- The Croatian science Foundation took an active role in preparing the Call documents and in leading the evaluation.
- Assistant professors selected under the requirement of excellency compose their research groups
- New knowledge is created; excellency in research leads to the attractiveness of Croatia for businesses and industries
- The Tenure-Track model is promoted at national level, and platforms created allow for promotion and expert exchange
- Counselling for host institutions and researchers
- Development of instruments and tools for evaluation procedures and recruitment
- National State Institute North
- Kroatischer Nationalfonds
The Tenure-Track pilot programme responds to the challenge of keeping excellent researchers in Croatia by offering them attractive research conditions. Thus, outstanding researchers shall be assigned as assistant professors. Selected by an expert panel according to a list of criteria and associated to a Croatian University, they are building up their research group on a selected future-oriented topic.
Statistical figures confirm a backlog in research in the country, for example, the percentage of scientific publications of Croatian researchers in most quoted scientific publications is three times below the EU average. Domestic Expenditure on Research (Research and Innovation) with 0,86% (2017) remains below the EU-28 average of 2,07% in the same year.
The project is designed to offer young and talented researchers an attractive long-term career perspective in Croatia.
|Gruppi target||The beneficiaries are top researchers, with two to seven years of experience since completion of their PhD.|
Complemented by promotional and visibility activities and by support for management and administration of the research projects, this approach corresponds to international practice. The Croatian Science Foundation acts as the Executive Agency. The Swiss EPFL coaches the Croatian Science Foundation, e.g. by providing expertise to the research groups, or by contributing to evaluate the Tenure Track model by its mid and end term. The Ministry of Science and Education ensures the financial control and the supervision of the implementation.
by the end of 2018:
Risultati principali attesi:
Contributo svizzero all'allargamento dell'UE
|Partner del progetto||
Instituzione statale straniera
École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 4'000'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 877'595|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 1 01.05.2017 - 10.12.2024 (Fase in corso)|